Talk with Your Child

It’s hard to keep talking to your children and teens. But, data shows that kids want this interaction from their parents/guardians. It all starts with a conversation. Let our resources guide you as you initiate conversation with your children. We also have resources for specific topics like mental wellness, suicide prevention, and gender identity in the Support My Child section.

Parents, take a stand and start a conversation with your child today.

  • Teens who don’t drink if parent doesn’t allow 90% 90%
  • Teens drink if parents say its “ok” 42% 42%

Click on each topic below for specific resources

Starting the Conversation on Substance Abuse
Answering Their Questions
Children's Mental Health
Supporting My Child
Specific resources for:

  • Mental Wellness
  • Suicide Prevention
  • Substance Abuse
  • Marijuana Use
  • Gender Identity
If You Suspect Your Child Is Using

Boys Town National Hotline: 1-800-448-3000

South Central Behavioral Services: 308-237-5951

Richard Young Hospital: 308-865-2000

Buffalo County Sheriff’s Office: 308-236-8555

Kearney Police Department: 308-237-2104 (Pill identifier)

Local Family Resources
Family counseling/ Private Practices (LADC)

South Central Behavioral Services: 308-237-5951 24/7 crisis services

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Narcotics Anonymous/Alcoholic:

Central Nebraska Council on Alcoholism and Addictions: 308-385-5520

Narcotics/Alcoholics Anonymous 15 E 26th st., Kearney. Frequent Weekly Meetings (storage and disposal information)